Interesting facts about Abraham Lincoln
History. Expand your knowledge and witness Lincoln’s legacy with these surprising and amazing facts.
Abraham Lincoln facts
- Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States, serving from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865.
- Lincoln was born on Feb 12, 1809, in Kentucky; he was professionally successful in Illinois. He worked several jobs before being elected – general store owner, military, postmaster and lawyer among them. He grew up poor.
- Abraham Lincoln once claimed, “Women are the only things that cannot hurt me than I am afraid of.”
- Abraham Lincoln didn’t smoke, drink or chew. He never drank in the White House.
- Lincoln actually hated being called Abe. He preferred being called by his last name.
- Lincoln didn’t have a middle name. He went through his life with two names.
- Lincoln was a big animal lover, he wouldn’t hunt or fish
- Abraham Lincoln practiced law without an official degree. He had about 18 months of formal schooling
- He wanted women to have a vote in 1836 itself.
- Everyone thought Abraham Lincoln was ugly, including himself. Once when was accused of being “two-faced,” he replied, “if I had two faces, why would I be wearing this one?”